Peace-Building“Peace, love, and ice cream” is more than just a clever saying. It’s a belief that guides us.
Peace Won’t Happen On Its Own
Doesn’t everyone want to live in a peaceful society? Of course - and that’s why Ben & Jerry’s is committed to being a part of the growing peace-building movement. It’s a collection of organizations and individuals (and a few businesses!) throughout the world who recognize that peace is something that we must actively create - by investing in healthy communities, social justice and economic justice for all, and respectful dialogue among people everywhere.
Ben & Jerry’s approach is to nourish peace and justice at the roots, which we understand to mean:
- The conditions of peace and social justice are profoundly undermined by the growing gap between the rich and the poor. Through our own business model of linked prosperity and our advocacy in the world, Ben & Jerry’s will support models of economic growth that lift people up and out of poverty and, that help create a more peaceful and equitable world.
- Support for diplomatic efforts to resolve political conflict,; and opposition to the use of military force by any nation, except in the name of legitimate national defense.
- Actively support increased government spending on human and social needs like education and healthcare instead of wasteful military spending on more and more weapons systems.
- Elevating the voices of those who speak for peace and those who present alternatives to violence and militarism in public discourse.
Sowing the Seeds of Peace
How will we move our commitment to Peace-building forward?
- All of the ingredients we use in our products will be fully sourced Fairtrade Certified in 2014. At its roots, the Fairtrade movement is an economic justice movement is important to peace-building, ensuring that small farmers in developing countries can compete and thrive in the global economy.
- As a company, we will continue to consciously be a part of the peace-building community by maintaining dynamic relationships with relevant individuals and organizations. We will look for opportunities to assist in the “re-branding” of the peace movement globally as a more positive, practical and mainstream “peace-building” movement.
- Through our business, partnerships and advocacy, we will seek ways to organize, educate and mobilize citizens at the grassroots level in support of peace-building efforts, and to celebrate peace-building efforts around the world.
To learn how you can get involved, visit our friends at The Peace Alliance.